There are a lot of camping coffee makers on the market to choose from.
In fact, you can probably find a portable version of just about any home brewer. With all of the choices, how do you pick the best camping brewer? Join us as we evaluate travel coffee makers and discover which one will be best for you and your adventures.
We've done the research, tried them out, and are ready to help you find your go-to summer brewer!
Whether it is camping on the shores of a lake, finding a cabin in the woods to spend the weekend, or pitching a tent among the wildflowers, find out which coffee brewer our experts think will work best for your summer excursions, and never be without your favorite morning beverage. While you are in the midst of picture-perfect landscapes, the wild outdoors, and fresh air dont suffer through bitter, boring coffee. Find the brewer that works for you.
Before you can figure out which brewer will be your ideal fit, you need to decide what you want your great outdoor adventure to look like. Are you heading out for a solo hike? Will you and your loved one share a cozy couples weekend? Is the gang getting together and having a large group camping trip? Knowing how many people will be sharing your delicious brew will help narrow down which coffee brewer is best for you.
We've broken our picks into three categories: Brewing for One, Couples Coffee, and Brewing for the Crew (4 or more).
We normally recommend using fresh ground coffee, but camping is an exception- just pre-grind the coffee you will use on your trip and store it in an airtight container.
Brewing for One - Winner: The CleverThe genius of the Clever Dripper's design makes brewing and clean up a breeze so you wont have to waste time that could be spent hiking a favorite trail. The Clever is an aptly named brewer that is perfect for travel. The Clever blends the clean and crisp taste of a pour over, such as a Chemex, with the ease and robust flavor of an immersion brewer, such as a French Press. Just clip the lightweight Clever Dripper right on your hiking pack, and you're on your way.
Clever Dripper Brewing Instructions
- Step 1: Place filter in the brewer and rinse with hot water. Dump the water.
- Step 2: Add your coffee.
- Step 3: Add about 1/5 of your total hot water to the grinds and let the coffee bloom for 30 seconds.
- Step 4: Pour the rest of your water. Technique is not as important here as it would be with a traditional pour over, just be sure to fully saturate the grounds.
- Step 5: Let the coffee sit for 2 minutes and then place it on your mug. It will take 1-2 minutes to drain fully.
Enjoy your coffee!
Couples Coffee - Winner: AeroPress
Whether you are enjoying a romantic cabin getaway with your partner or hanging out fireside with your best friend, enjoying a cup of Joe can make even the best times better. The AeroPress will make 1-2 double shot Americano or latte type beverages in under a minute! Invented in 2005, the AeroPress has taken the coffee world by storm. Its small size, and lightweight design means it can fit in the leftover spaces of most bags. Because it is made out of polypropylene, this brewer is one of the most indestructible brewers you can find. Its sleek, durable design and easy brew method make this the perfect couples coffee brewer.
AeroPress Brewing instructions for two cups:
- Step 1: Unscrew the black filter cap, insert a filter, and then reattach the filter cap.
- Step 2: Rinse the filter and dump out excess water.
- Step 3: Place the brewer, filter side down, on top of your favorite sturdy mug or decanter.
- Step 4: Remove the plunger and add two scoops of finely ground coffee into the brew chamber. Your grounds should be ground between espresso and drip.
- Step 5: Pour your heated water into the brew chamber, stopping at the 4 mark. Then use the stirring paddle to stir the coffee and the water for about 10 seconds.
- Step 6: Place the plunger upright into the brew chamber and gently press down on the plunger until you make contact with the ground coffee at the bottom of the chamber. Press time should be between 20-30 seconds.
Step 7: Split the concentrated coffee between two mugs and add hot water or milk to taste. For a refreshing treat make it over ice!
Brewing for the Crew - Winner: French Press
Hands down the French Press is the easiest way to brew fresh, rich coffee for a group of people while youre camping. The almost set-it-and-forget-it brewing style will let you do other things, like hanging out with your friends, while you wait for your coffee to brew.
French Press Brewing Instructions:
- Step 1: Scoop 2 Tbsps per 6 oz of water into the French Press chamber
- Step 2: Pour your heated water into the chamber
- Step 3: Stir your water coffee mixture
- Step 4: Place your plunger on your French Press but do not press down.
- Step 5: Wait 4 mins
- Step 6: Plunge your coffee
- Step 7: Pour your coffee into mugs and enjoy!
Remember with each of these brewers, you will need a way to heat hot water. it is likely you will need to boil water over an open fire or on a camping stove.
Although you can make coffee several ways while camping, not all of your options will produce something you enjoy. Our recommendations will take the guesswork out of your brewing and let you worry about more important things, like relaxing and enjoying the world around you.
Let us know where your adventures will take you this summer by leaving a comment below, on Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram.